As a Senior Back End Engineer at Envoy you will be part of a group that delivers innovative solutions for our clients. We are an agency focused on launching and building brands through connected digital experiences, commerce and product design.
This position is part of a department composed of frontend, backend, platform (CMS and eCommerce), QA and DevOps engineers. It requires someone who is team-oriented, technology savvy and driven to produce quality products. You will work collaboratively with fellow department members, project managers, designers and clients. Our ideal candidate is someone who loves the idea of helping both develop technology and a business.
This position is well-suited to someone who doesn’t fit into traditional, rigid engineering structures. Your day-to-day will be varied with each project having its own needs and challenges. We recognize that great work takes time and effort so we aim to provide an environment that supports that. We also realize that sometimes you need to focus and sometimes you need to interact with peers (even if it’s about an unrelated topic). Enjoying solving puzzles, fidgeting with Rubik’s Cubes and dabbling in side projects with obscure technologies are all plusses.
Below is a description of some of what this role may encounter. If it resonates with you please apply even if there are some deltas – we are not attempting to check off a list of buzzwords.
Required Skills (Must Have)
- High level skills in at least 1 contemporary server side programming language (e.g. PHP, Go and/or NodeJS) – and working knowledge of a few others (even if they are obscure)
- Ability to make new things as well as inherit existing projects
- Experience with one or more platforms/ecosystems (e.g.: Shopify, Magento, SFCC / Demandware, Contentful, WordPress, AEM) – this includes evaluating plugins, troubleshooting, interacting with the community and possibly contributing back to open source projects
- Experience writing custom integrations between arbitrary systems
- Ability to judge when and how to write one-off code vs when and how to write something that can be used indefinitely
- Ability to put together usable user interfaces (web, CLI or other) even though that is not your primary focus in life
- Strong understanding of software architecture and object oriented principles (inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation, abstraction, scope, design patterns)
- Experience with data persistence – including at least one database platform (e.g. MariaDB / MySQL / PostgreSQL / MongoDB) and related issues (scaling, data transformation, cache management and general troubleshooting)
- Experience with modern tooling (e.g. Git, Gulp, Yarn, NPM, WebPack)
- Good time management, problem solving and communication skills
- Pride in writing documentation and sharing knowledge with others
- Deep interest in being a solid individual contributor while also ensuring the collective success of the team
Desired Skills (Nice to Have)
- Experience with cloud software architecture (e.g. lambdas, containers, configuration code, auto-scaling) and at least one cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience with headless web development
- Experience designing and implementing APIs
- Experience with any of the following: NetSuite, Full Circle, Salesforce, Yotpo, ReCharge
- Experience with any CMS, CRM and/or ERP systems
- Understanding of theoretical aspects of software engineering and how to apply this to practical problems
- Deep knowledge of one or more programming languages and/or platforms (including those not commonly used at Envoy)
- Ability to digest past projects and lead technical design efforts for projects similar to those
- Ability to explain technical matters to non-technical people and propose solutions
- Ability to resolve complex issues involving multiple priorities
- A history of understanding and recognizing certain situations, processes and issues specific to agencies or consultancies and how to solve them
- Considered a leader by peers
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead projects while still acting as an individual contributor
- Help grow the department by participating in interview/hiring process
- Focus on the internal department beyond project work (e.g. how it interacts with the other departments and how it should evolve)
- Assist in scoping, estimating and allocating project work
Envoy offers 100% employer paid health and dental, vision, 401(k) matching, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays, fully stocked snack rack, coffee, kombucha and cold brew on tap, and really cute dogs.
- Fast paced work environment with great people who love what they do.
- Envoy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
To all recruitment agencies Envoy does not accept agency resumes. Envoy is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Got the goods? We'd love to hear from you.
34 Tesla #100
Irvine, CA 92618
Close enough to get your fill, far enough to find some quiet. Neighboring Southern California’s largest metropolitan cities, OC is the idyllic spot for professional and personal growth.
More than a good job.
Good people, good food and good weather come with the territory.
Senior Back End EngineerWe Are Envoy
Irvine, California, United States