Senior Platform Software Engineer
As a Senior Platform Software Engineer at Envoy Irvine, you will be a part of a group that provides solutions for our clients. We are an agency focused on launching and building brands through connected digital experiences, commerce and product design.
You will be part of a department composed of frontend, backend, platform (CMS and eCommerce), QA and DevOps engineers. You are someone that is team-oriented and love to produce quality technical products. You will work with fellow department members, project managers, designers and clients. You will report to the Engineering Manager.
You don't fit into traditional, rigid engineering structures. Your day-to-day will be varied with each project having its own needs and challenges. We recognize that great work takes time and effort so we aim to provide an environment that supports that. We also realize that sometimes you need to focus and sometimes you need to interact with peers (even if it's about an unrelated topic). Enjoying solving puzzles, fidgeting with Rubik's Cubes and dabbling in side-projects with obscure technologies are all plusses.
- Lead projects while still acting as an individual contributor
- Help grow the department by participating in interview/hiring process
- Focus on the internal department beyond project work (e.g. how it interacts with the other departments and how it should evolve)
- Assist in scoping, estimating and allocating project work
- 3+ years of experience in a Platform Engineer role
- High-level skills in at least one contemporary server-side programming language (e.g. PHP, Go and NodeJS) – and working knowledge of a few others (even if they are obscure)
- Worked with one or more platforms/ecosystems (e.g.: Shopify, Magento, SFCC / Demandware, Contentful, WordPress, AEM) – this includes evaluating plugins, troubleshooting, working with the community and contributing to open source projects
- Experience writing custom integrations between arbitrary systems
- Judge when and how to write one-off code vs when and how to write something that can be used indefinitely
- Put together usable user interfaces (web, CLI or other) even though that is not your primary focus in life
- Knowledge of software architecture and object-oriented principles (inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation, abstraction, scope and design patterns)
- Experience with data persistence – including at least one database platform (e.g. MariaDB / MySQL / PostgreSQL / MongoDB) and related issues (scaling, data transformation, cache management and general troubleshooting)
- Experience with modern tooling (e.g. Git, Gulp, Yarn, NPM, or WebPack)
- Understanding of theoretical aspects of software engineering and how to apply this to practical problems
- Deep knowledge of one or more programming languages and/or platforms (including those not commonly used at Envoy)
- Digest past projects and lead technical design efforts for projects similar to those
- Explain technical matters to non-technical people and propose solutions
- History of understanding and recognizing certain situations, processes and issues specific to agencies or consultancies and how to solve them
Envoy offers a great compensation package, 100% employer-paid health and dental, vision, 401(k) matching, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Envoy is an end-to-end digital consultancy that helps organizations accelerate growth through connected customer experiences. Trusted by iconic brands and tomorrow's category leaders, Envoy's multi-disciplinary team of strategists, designers, and technologists deliver client impact through brand building, e-commerce and digital products. Headquartered in Irvine, California with offices in San Diego and Chicago, Envoy transforms experiences for clients such as T-Mobile, VIZIO, Arlo, Nike and Diageo. To learn more visit Envoy's website and follow the team on LinkedIn.
Envoy is committed to equity.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our community. Envoy does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or military status.